The Local Health Unit (ULS) of the Leiria Region announced this Wednesday, December 10th, the mandatory use of masks for users, companions and professionals in its spaces, and the suspension of non-urgent activity.
In information sent to the Lusa agency, ULS announced that it reinforced the measures provided for in the Seasonal Health Contingency Plan – Winter Module, “determining the mandatory use of masks for users, companions and professionals in all care spaces”.
“This measure aims to stop the chain of transmission of respiratory viruses and ensure greater protection for patients and healthcare professionals”, said the ULS.
Also according to this entity, “the reinforcement now implemented also includes the suspension of non-urgent activity, allowing for an increase in hospitalization capacity and reinforcement of emergency service teams, in a phase of high pressure”.
“Level 1 [de um total de quatro] of the Contingency Plan was activated last week, in response to the significant increase in demand for health services, especially due to respiratory situations”, he clarified.
According to ULS, “since then, several structural measures have been applied, such as increasing the number of beds, strengthening professionals, accelerating clinical discharges and referring less complex patients to Pombal Hospital, ensuring more efficient management of care flows”.
“Level 1 is activated when there is a continuous increase in demand, especially in hospital admissions, and involves the implementation of several reinforcement measures”, explained the ULS previously.
ULS also appealed to the population to contact the SNS 24 Line (808 24 24 24) before resorting to emergency services and to prioritize primary health care, namely the Complementary Care Service and consultations for acute illnesses, available in health centers.
The situation will continue to be monitored daily, allowing measures to be adjusted whenever necessary, guaranteed ULS.
The ULS area of influence in the Leiria Region corresponds to the municipalities of Alcobaça, Batalha, Leiria, Marinha Grande, Nazaré, Ourém, Pombal and Porto de Mós. It comprises three hospitals (Leiria, Pombal and Alcobaça) and 10 health centers.
Portugal entered an influenza epidemic phase with an increasing trend, registering an increase in confirmed cases, including admissions to intensive care, the National Institute of Health Doutor Ricardo Jorge (Insa) warned on Friday.
“Data relating to flu activity in this 2025-26 season (…) showed that in week 48, which began on November 24, flu activity is epidemic,” Raquel Guiomar, responsible for the National Reference Laboratory for the Flu Virus and Other Respiratory Viruses at Insa, told the Lusa agency.
The Inça Epidemiological Surveillance Bulletin for Influenza and other Respiratory Viruses reveals that in the week of November 24th to 30th there was an increase in the incidence rate of severe acute respiratory infections compared to previous weeks, reaching 10.5 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
On Monday, the Minister of Health assured that the National Health Service is prepared to respond to the increase in flu cases expected in the coming weeks.
“I can assure you that our institutions are prepared and articulated, from hospitals and health centers to INEM, the General Directorate of Health and the National Institute of Health Dr. Ricardo Jorge, and the Executive Directorate of the National Health Service, to provide the best possible response to the Portuguese, from prevention to treatment”, said Ana Paula Martins, adding that, in Portugal, there has been “increasing flu activity in recent weeks, with a visible impact on health units”.